Opening Doors for Work
Toll Free (877) 246-9675
1595 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84104
Click on a date for event details.
Work Ability Career Preparation & Job Fair
Oct 7, 2014 at 10:00AM
- ANI: Autism Network International, an autistic-run self-help and advocacy organization for autistic people.
- ASAN: An autistic-run organization organized for the purpose of changing public perception of the autism spectrum and promoting better outcomes for the autistic community.
- Center for Persons with Disabilities: The Center for Persons with Disabilities (CPD) at Utah State University joins the expertise of researchers and faculty with community partners to address the most difficult challenges facing persons with disabilities and their families.
- Disabled Persons' Directory of Utah
- Disabled Persons' Services in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Disability.gov: Provides quick and easy access to comprehensive information about disability programs, services, laws and benefits.
- Disability Rights and Independent Living Movement: UC Berkeley's website on the Disability Rights and Independent Living Movement. Discover our rich collection of primary sources exploring the social and political history of the disability movement from the 1960s to the present.
- Education for Disability & Gender Equity: High school curriculum incorporating disability and gender issues into humanities and science.
- Fetal Alcohol Coalition: Studies Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. Dedicated to education and prevention.
- Holocaust of the Disabled: Eugenics or breeding for purity was perverted by Hitler and taken to horrific extremes. An estimated 250,000 disabled people were murdered and many thousands of others sterilized between 1931 and 1945.
- Learning Disabilities Assoc: Since 1963, LDA has provided support to people with learning disabilities, their parents, teachers and other professionals. At the national, state and local levels, LDA provides cutting edge information on learning disabilities, practical solutions, and a comprehensive network of resources.
- Mountain State Centers for Independent Living: Dedicated to the group of youth who brought the "Establishing Disability History" Law to West Virginia.
- National Center for PTSD: The PTSD Information Center has Fact Sheets and Videos to answer your questions on trauma, PTSD and related issues. A good place to start is "What is PTSD?"
- NICHCY: Center that provides information to the nation on: disabilities in children and youth; programs and services for infants, children, and youth with disabilities; IDEA, the nation's special education law; No Child Left Behind, the nation's general education law; and research-based information on effective practices for children with disabilities.
- Santa Monica College: Offers insight into the philosophy behind disability rights.
- Tia Nelis: Promoting self-advocacy.
- Utah Division for Learning Disabilities: The Utah Division for Learning Disabilities provides Utah educators with professional support and recognition in working with people with disabilities.
- Utah Down Syndrome Foundation: Provides outreach, contact support, activities, education and information for individuals with Down syndrome, their parents and families as well as community awareness.
- Utah's Disability Resource Book (doc) (pdf)
- ABA Educational Resources LTD: Offers free downloadable programs, clip art and data sheets for parents and educators.
- Answers.com: Pervasive developmental disorders include five different conditions: Asperger's syndrome, autistic disorder, childhood disintegrative disorder (CDD), pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDDNOS), and Rett's syndrome.
- Autism Inspiration: For parents and teachers of children with autism spectrum behaviors. Provides a variety of resources including lesson plans, games, group activities, sensory integration ideas, forums, and other valuable tools.
- Autism Information and Resources: List of services and trainings to families and professionals who live and work with individuals with autism and autism spectrum disorders such as Aspergers.
- Clarissa Willis: Information on the handouts pages on behavior and communication, bullying and introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Do2Learn: Information on Teacher & Parent Material including free computer-based instruction which includes facial expressions, schedules, feelings, etc.
- eMedicine: Pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) include a spectrum of behavioral problems commonly associated with autism.
- First Signs: Offers guidelines for recognizing the early signs of autism.
- Guidelines for Identification and Education of Children and Youth with Autism (pdf): A 128 page manual containing information on assessment and educational interventions.
- Jim Sinclair, Don't Mourn for Us: For individuals with autism and parents.
- OASIS @ MAAP: General information and links about Asperger's Syndrome.
- Polyxo: General information about autism, behavior, ABA, useful forms for teachers.
- Yale Child Study Center: Information on Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Multiplex Developmental Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder – Not Otherwise Specified and Rett's Disorder.
Famous People with Disabilities
- Alan Osmond: Multiple Sclerosis
- Albert Einstein: Learning disability
- Alexander the Great: Epilepsy
- Ben Stiller: Bipolar Manic Depression
- Billy Joel: Depression, Alcoholism
- Bob Dole: Paralysis of right arm
- Bruce Jenner: Learning Disability
- Bruce Willis: Stuttered
- Chris Burke (actor): Down Syndrome
- Daniel Inouye: Amputee
- David Beckham: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Edgar Allen Poe: Alcoholism, heart disease, brain congestion
- F.W. Woolworth: Learning disability
- Franklin D. Roosevelt: Post Polio Syndrome
- George Patton: Learning disability
- Geri Jewell: Cerebral Palsy
- Halle Berry: Diabetes
- Harriet Tubman: Traumatic Brain Injury, Sleep disorder
- Hans Christian Anderson: Learning disability
- Helen Keller: Blind, Deaf
- James Brady: Traumatic Brain Injury
- Jim Eisenreich: Tourette syndrome
- John Cougar Mellencamp: Spina Bifida
- José Feliciano: Blind
- Julius Caesar: Epilepsy
- Kurt Cobain: Depression, Drug Addiction
- Lou Gehrig: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Louis Braille: Blind
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Deaf
- Magic Johnson: HIV Positive
- Marlee Matlin: Deaf
- Mary Tyler Moore: Diabetes
- Michael J. Fox: Parkinson's disease
- Nelson Rockefeller: Learning disability
- Ray Charles: Blind
- Ron Santo: Diabetes, Amputee
- Ronald Reagan: Hard of Hearing, Alzheimer's Disease
- Sigmund Freud: Oral cancer
- Steven Hawking: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Motor neuron disease, quadriplegic
- Stevie Wonder: Blind
- Teddy Roosevelt: Asthma, Vision Impairment, Heart Problems. See this additional website.
- Thomas Edison: Hard of hearing
- Tiger Woods: Stuttered
- Tom Cruise: Learning Disability
- Walt Disney: Learning Disability
- Wilma Rudolph: Post Polio Syndrome
- Winston Churchill: Stuttered
- Woodrow Wilson: Learning Disability